I have been noticing a lot of searches popping up for readers on the hunt for funny Regencies. As I also enjoy a good chortle or lol while reading, I was happy to pull together a lengthy list of my favorite funny Regency romance novels.
I have separated the list into 30 clean romances and 20 mature (with sex) romances. They are not in any particular order, and links connect back to full reviews.
I hope you enjoy these Regency comedies as much as I do! Happy, laugh filled reading! (Click on the cover to go to Amazon and buy!)
30 PG Rated
1. Sylvester-Georgette Heyer One of my all time favorite Heyers. This book makes me laugh so hard, even after many re-reads. Reluctant hero and high flying heroine in a comedy of errors.
2. Frederica-Georgette Heyer Wonderful sibling characters who are impish, naughty and drive the hero to distraction.
3. The Talisman Ring-Georgette Heyer Great addition to your collection of Heyers, this one was pitched as a mystery but is more of a silly romp.
4. Friday’s Child-Georgette Heyer Another Heyer that has wonderful supporting characters that will keep you laughing.
5. The Grand Sophy-Georgette Heyer A monkey and a high flying, phaeton driving heroine…need I say more?!
6. The Corinthian-Georgette Heyer By now you have probably gathered that Georgette Heyer is a wonderful, funny storyteller you should check out for a good laugh. The Corinthian is touted as her funniest, and although I still champion Sylvester, I found it a whimsical folly nonetheless.
7. A Very Merry Chase-Teresa Thomas Bohannon This one comes highly recommended by reviewers and readers alike. The excerpts are hilarious…while its not necessarily lol funny, it still is a delight!
8. The Tenacious Miss Tamerlane-Kasey Michaels. Highly recommended as lol funny.
9. Lady in Disguise-Jacqueline Diamond Not laugh out loud funny, but still an amusing country romp in the traditional Regency style.
10. A Lady’s Point of View- Jacqueline Diamond A shortsighted young lady accidentally creates a scandal. On her way into exile, she lands in the wrong carriage, is mistaken for a governess… and plays along.
11. The Proposition-By Judith Ivory–A recommended reverse gender Pygmalion tale that readers love. Apparently some very funny scenes with an equally amusing plot.
12. If I Were You – By Joan Aiken – A trading places story that has been described as a “delightful romp” with funny cast of supporting characters and a little bit of an anti-romance. Aiken was one of the first in the modern author tradition of Jane fan-fiction.
13. A Lady of Independence-By Helen Argus–Spanking dialogue in the traditional (clean) Regency style with a feisty heroine.
14. A Proper Companion By Candace Hern Light with funny characters and a little wild Regency romping.
15. A Garden Folly By Candace Hern It is lighthearted and humorous, although not lol funny.
16. Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind By Heidi Ashworth A witty Regency full of highwaymen, a reluctant hero, and a meddling Aunt.
17. Much Obliged By Jessica Benson Clean Romance Reviews (CRR) recommends as a laugh from start to finish!
18. The Rejected Suitor By Teresa McCarthy Another funny CRR recommendation.
19. The Regency Buck By Georgette Heyer Oh, Heyer snuck in again. I can’t help myself, her books are just SO FUNNY! There is mystery, a dash of suspense, and the delightful appearance of Beau Brummel who makes an instant companion out of Judith, our heroine.
20. Love’s Gamble By Louise Armstrong A short and sweet novella, its great for a quick laugh.
22. The Fortune Hunter By Diane Farr Funny romance with touches of realism make this a great read for vanilla hist-ro lovers!
23. Taming the Shrew By Cari Hislop PG 13 Regency that readers found a hilarious farce.
24. The Reluctant Bride By Cindy Holbrook The Romance Reader recommends a funny, if not always accurate, Regency romp.
25. Northanger Abbey By Jane Austen My all time favorite Austen, this one is a hilarious spin on gothic romances and worth a read…or re-read for a good laugh!
26. The French Affair by Marion Chesney Laugh out loud funny scenes with a Frenchified plot. A Reg rom favorite.
27. Balmorrow’s Bride By Judith A. Lansdowne Readers love Zebra’sLansdowne Regencies for their funny moments with some laugh out loud scenes. Unfortunately not yet in e format, but follow the link to get a cheap copy from Amazon.
28. Miss Treadwell’s Talent By Barbara Metzger A Signet Reg. Rom not yet in digital format, but worth hunting for as it promises to keep you laughing all the way through!
29. Best Laid Schemes By Emma Jensen Readers love this oldie but goodie. “Girls grow into ladies, dearest. It happens all the time.” “That is not a lady, madam. That is Sibyl Cameron.”
30. Simply Scandalous By Tamara Lejeune A masquerade during a curricle race gets this feisty heroine into some hot water…super funny banter from unlikely characters unique to Regencies. Breath of fresh air, and great for a laugh!
20 Mature Rated
1. Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake By Sarah MacLean Even non-rom readers love this debut Reg. romp.
2. A Courtesan’s Kiss-Mary Blayney A delightful romp. Mature content abound, but deliciously delightful plot!
3. London’s Perfect Scoundrel By Suzanne Enoch Who doesn’t enjoy a real rakehell of a guy for some witty, funny banter imbued with sexual tension? If you don’t stay away from this sparkler!
4. Crocodile on the Sandbank – Elizabeth Peters This one is Victorian, but nonetheless recommended as a great mystery in Egypt with lol comedy.
5. At the Bride Hunt Ball by Olivia Parker is recommended for fans of early Julia Quinn.
6. Candace Camp- The Marriage Wager Sometimes steamy, features a fun setting at a country house party and an unlikely love affair.
7. Minx By Julia Quinn Super funny, classic Julia Quinn read. Great one you can pick up and put down in between chasing the kids or the dog or the sun.
8. The Bridgerton Series by Julia Quinn Dive into the whole series, its really funny and worth a read!
9. Lord of Scoundrels By Loretta Chase Everyone, including twitmates, nominates this as a Regency laugh classic. I was left a little cold, but I am definitely in the minority!
10. Rules of Engagement By Christina Dodd He needs a foundling to impress the Crown, and she needs his money. Cue laughs!
11. The Countess by Lynsay Sands Historical Romance Addicts recommends this one as funny from cover to cover.
12. Something about Emmaline by Elizabeth Boyle A fictional wife for the hero suddenly becomes a reality when our heroine takes advantage
13. How to Marry a Duke by Vicky Dreiling is another funny debut Reg rom styled ala The Bachelor.
14. Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale Nine years separate hero and heroine…and result in some laughs.
15. No Place for a Lady By Katherine Greyle An unlikely heroine makes for some wonderful Regency mash-ups!
16. Seduction of a Proper Gentleman By Victoria Alexander Sexy and with some original, laughable supporting characters this one is perfect for steamy/smiley read.
17. To Love a Thief By Julie Anne Long Rita nominee for this debut, which is a fun tail of a barrister and an orphan pickpocket. Unlikely lovers make for fun folly!
18. The Famous Heroine/The Plumed Bonnet By Mary Balogh Twitter friends recommend this two-fer as a delightful Balogh classic.
19. A Week to Be Wicked By Tessa Dare Spanking dialogue and interesting characters make an enjoyable joy ride of a book!
20. Ravished By Amanda Quick Really unusual heroine and hero (bluestocking and the beast) make for a funny road to romance.